Seafood chowder comes in many difference bases and variations, this particular one is my personal favourite and an often-requested favourite of our family and guests.
By LaDonna Gundersen
- 4-5 large potatoes, peeled, diced
- 5 thick slices of bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 5 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup carrots, grated
- ¾ cup celery, diced
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups water
- 2 (6-ounce) cans clams with juice
- 2 pounds (3-4 cups) assorted seafood, salmon, halibut, crab, shrimp
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
Boil potatoes until tender, drain and reserve. In a soup pot, fry the bacon until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Add butter to the soup pot. Add the onion, garlic, red bell pepper, carrots and celery, sauté over medium heat until soft.
Stir in the flour. Pour in the water and clams with juice. Bring to a slow boil, stirring frequently, until thickened.
Add the seafood, potatoes, bacon, seasonings, half-and-half and milk. Simmer until all of the fish is opaque throughout, another 5 minutes.
Ladle into warmed soup bowls and garnish with the parsley.
Makes 4 servingsboating recipes, recipes, seafood recipes